Dear Mr Honest Traffic Cop,

I am the one who broke a relatively obscure (I think) traffic light at 10 pm. I am the one in front of whose car you dangerously danced so that you could get me to stop. I am the one who stopped and rolled down the window as you walked up to my car.

You spoke very politely, with an almost queer cheer in your voice. You greeted me, and you smiled. It wasn’t the devious, devilish smile that I am used to receiving from your ilk. It was honest and sincere. And that is commendable. For that time of the night. You must have been standing there in the noise, smoke, dust and filth for many hours. And after all that, if you can conjure up that smile, you deserve some respect…

…or at the very least, you deserve to be treated (and spoken to) respectably. Unfortunately for me, I did neither. I was harsh and rude to you. I spoke to you with a generous dose of contempt. I looked down upon you. And insulted you with the tone and words that I used.

But there was more. I didn’t stop at that. I offered you a bribe. Shamelessly, thoughtlessly, nonchalantly and remorselessly. You were visibly upset. I’ve offered bribes before, and I think I’ve learnt enough to pull them off with some degree of success. Most times, it just needs the right degrees of cheer, bonhomie, understanding, respect and surreptitiousness. This time, unfortunately, I bungled up. I just stuck a fifty-rupee note in your face. That must’ve felt really insulting.

You gave me some of the contempt back. And deservedly so. But in your own polite, civilized way. You just smiled a smile dripping with sarcasm and contempt. And asked me to leave. I thanked you and left in a huff. Perhaps because I knew I was in the wrong. And couldn’t get myself to face it.

You are an honest traffic cop. Unlike most others. You don’t even have a pot-belly. You were courteous and cultured. And you were not staring at my wallet. I hope I haven’t pushed you in the other direction through what I did today. I almost feel as if I have killed a good cop, but that’s pushing it too far really.

I respect you for the way you conducted yourself. And I hope that you set an example for your brethren. Unfortunately, the path ahead is rough. And people like me add a few more potholes.

I am usually not so uncultured an uncouth. Maybe it was the fact that I was clearly, doubtlessly in the wrong – one tends to get defensive. Maybe it was collective hate against your race manifesting itself upon you. I don’t know, really. Whatever it was, it does not count as an excuse.

I am sorry for the way I behaved, and for the way things panned out tonight. If you’re reading this (unlikely), or if we meet again (unlikelier still), I would like to buy you a beer. And that would not be as a bribe.

Hope someone up there makes more of you, and less of me.

Regards,

Signal-Breaker